How to become an Energy Assessor

  • Price: £5.99
  • Published: August 2017
  • Type: Business Opportunity Profile
  • Format: PDF
  • Qualifications and skills
  • Key market issues and trends
  • Trading, commercial and legal issues
  • Legislation
  • Further information

Energy assessors are engaged to produce energy performance certificates (EPCs), display energy certificates and air conditioning reports for residential, commercial and public buildings. These are required by law in certain circumstances. For example, before a residential property can be advertised for sale, the owner or estate agent must be satisfied that a valid energy EPC has been issued for the property, or that a new EPC has been commissioned and paid for.

Some energy assessors also produce other statutory energy reports, such as Energy Savings Opportunities Scheme (ESOS) reports, and Section 63 reports (required for buildings in Scotland only), and many assessors advise homeowners about renewable energy options and provide consultancy services to business and public sector organisations that require guidance on environmental policy and compliance.

In order to produce statutory energy reports, an energy assessor must be a member of an accreditation scheme. Typical clients include established energy assessors, construction firms and property developers, estate agents, solicitors, landlords, local authorities, and residential and commercial property owners.

This profile provides information about starting up and trading as an energy assessor. It describes the skills required, the training available, the current market trends and the key trading issues. It also explains the legislation that must be complied with and provides sources of further information and support.

Add to basket

Your basket

    Currently in your basket
  • Empty

Proceed to checkout Proceed to checkout