How to become a Gas and Central Heating Engineer

  • Price: £5.99
  • Published: February 2016
  • Type: Business Opportunity Profile
  • Format: PDF
  • What qualifications and skills are required?
  • Key market issues and trends
  • Trading, commercial and legal issues
  • Legislation
  • Further information

Gas and central heating engineers install, commission, service and repair gas appliances and gas-fired, oil-fired and electric central heating systems in domestic and commercial properties. Some engineers provide services under contract as well as on a reactive basis, particularly when engaged by landlords, who have a statutory duty to ensure that all gas installations and fittings are maintained in a proper condition and inspected annually. A premium is typically charged for emergency call-outs, and higher rates may be charged for work carried out during evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.

Work on gas appliances and gas systems is strictly regulated and anyone that carries out gas work must be registered with Gas Safe Register. Registration is also mandatory for firms that employ gas engineers, including self-employed gas and central heating engineers operating as sole traders.

Some gas and central heating engineers also install renewable energy systems, although this is covered separately in BOP 567, Solar and Renewable Energy Installer. Maintenance work on electric-only central heating systems is covered in BOP 51, Electrician.

This profile provides information about starting up and trading as a gas and central heating engineer. It describes the skills required, the training available, the current market trends and the key trading issues. It also explains the legislation that must be complied with and provides sources of further information and support.

Add to basket

Your basket

    Currently in your basket
  • Empty

Proceed to checkout Proceed to checkout